Translate

Saturday 25 November 2017

Not all countries act the same, some are more murderous than others


 One of the many lies that try to inculcate us is that all countries would act the same in certain circumstances, experiments carried out in some American universities ( Stanley Milgram, Yale University ) want to induce us to believe that under certain pressure all men would act the same.
  
The experience of the Second World War tells us that at least at the level of nations this is not true. One can not have 100% certainty in almost nothing, but if one can say that the Germans were mostly anti-Semitic and that their attitudes towards prisoners of war, Jews, Gypsies, etc., was mostly cruel and deplorable. Other countries also acted mostly cruelly, Polish, Baltic, Western Ukrainians, Croats, Romanians, of course there were heroic cases among them, but most are guilty of cruelty or indifference towards it.

  
But other countries acted in a very different way, the Danes saved almost all of their Jewish population in one day by embarking them in neutral Sweden, the Italians protected Serbs and Jews in their occupation zones against the Croats who massacred them or against the French who sent them ( the Jews ) to the Germans.
Also interesting are the stories of the survivors about the difference in the humane treatment of Czech civilians and the inhumanity of German civilians in the death marches.

  
And, at least for me, one of the most denigrating aspects of the Germans is their denial, even today, to acknowledge that they knew what was happening, I enclose a statement of witnesses from that era that demonstrate that falsehood.


lnga Haag
Inga Haad , now
German woman, member  of anti-Hitler resistance  


I don't blame people who didn't come forward, 'but to say they didn´t know what was going on is absolute rubbish: in school, in university, you knew- not exactly what happened, but that the Jews had disappeared, We thought the worst because my husband said, 'If they were still alive we would herard from them,' But the fact was they had disappeared, they were just not there. That, I think, for my family and friends who were against Hitler,was the greatest encouragement {to resist}: that citizens can just disappear. As my father said :Germany was a country without law. (1)

Inga Haad , in WWII

Another interesting history about the day of the liberation of Buchenwald camp :
George Hartman

Czech Jewish youth, Buchenwald 


I heard a rumour that the Americans were coming to. liberate Buchenwald but
how the whole camp was dynamited and it would be destroyed before they
came. I thought, well, what can you do? Nothing. The guards were still there.

>-

Then the liberation suddenly happened. And there was this sudden chaos with

people running around and rounding people up. I remember somehow I was at
the officers' swimming pool which was covered with ashes - in Buchenwald
they were also burning people and it was spewing ashes - and in the water
were these SS swimming. The prisoners threw them in and as they came to
the edge, we would kick them back in until they were all drowned. None of
them survived. We didn't drown them, we just didn't let them get out.

Then there was total chaos: the fences were broken and people started run-
ning outside the camp. I was in a horrible shape but I went with this running
mob. And I remember I went to this Ilse Koch's house. People were taking
things: furniture, lamps - whatever they found. I didn't take anything. I was
too sick and I decided I wanted to get out of that, I couldn't stand it because I
was going to be trampled to death - it was mania. I decided to wander away /
(rom the camp and came to a nearby farm. There was a German farm woman, {
scared to death of me, telling me that she didn't do anything, she didn't know I
there was a camp - and she was about two thousand feet away!
- and that her I husband died on the front. She gave me a raw egg, it was the first food and it I
nearly killed me, it was the most disgusting thing.

I stumbled out of that place. If I had been a little more alive, I would have
raped that woman, but at that point there was nothing. Here I had been try-
ing to survive in order to have sex, never having made love in my life, and
here was a single woman, not yet thirty years old, but I had no thoughts of
that at the time. I decided there's no way I'm going to survive much longer,
the only chance is going back to the camp, so I went back; I don't remember
the derails, but somehow I got reunited with my brother.(1)


And another about  the real Nazism of many Germans just after the liberation of Bergen Belsen camp:

Freddie Knoller
Austrian Jewish' youth, Bergen-Belsen 

As I was looking for food (in this nearby farmhouse) I saw something sticking
out from behind
a wardrobe. It was a framed photo of Adolf Hitler. I took a
knife
Freddoe Knoller
and slashed it in front of the old farmer
. That's when he came to me and


said, 'Du sauJude' - 'You pig-jew,' I had the knife in my hand and I just stuck
the knife in his stomach. I don't know if I killed him or not. The British sol-
dier s
aid, 'Come on, let's get back to the camp.' He didn't want anything to do
with it
. I would never have done that under normal circumstances, it was just
that we were l
iberated and that a German continued to call us 'sauJude' (1)



And what do you think the ordinary Germans did when they passed in front of their noses, the emaciated survivors on a death march?, we see :

Roman Halter

Polish Jewish youth, Pimau to Dresden area 


Image result for roman halterThe progress from Pirnau was very slow, we did something like eight or
nine kilometres a day - thi
s was February 1945. We were in our striped
outfits and, before we left, everybody had a strip shorn in the middle
of his head so that if we escaped, we could be easily recognised - so really we
wer
e the first punks! Once we were stopped in an area and asked to sit
d
own in the market square. The German population came out and the SS
wanted to show what beasts we were, so they cut up bits of turnip and
c
arrot and threw them in the middle so that we should fight over them. But
our l
eader said, 'Don't fight, keep your dignity.' We looked up to him and

so we listened. The SS were disappointed so they started kicking those on l
the outside of the circle, but we didn't perform. Very few of the people who (

came to stare had any empathy with us. They shouted insults and said that we were responsible for the bombing; it was terribly disheartening - they were supportive of the S
S. And so like poor starved souls, eventually we were put in
an agricultural implement shed. By that time the SS were also tired and
thought we wouldn't run away and they left only four people to guard us. That

is when, with a small group of those who came from Auschwitz, I managed to escape...(1)



And about the humanity of the Czechs ( in a Death March ):

Alfred Huberman
Polish Jewish youth, Rehmsdorf to Theresienstadt

One remarkable incident: we were walking towards the Sudetenland inhab-
   ited b
y Czechs and when we got to a suburb of some town, it was like a mirage.

On the verges, big slices of bread had been put there; the Czechs must.have
see
n us passing by and saw how emaciated we were. There were no people
a
bout. I just flew for it. It was dangerous because I could have been shot, but I
got some for myself and for a friend who had no shoes and couldn't rush and
shove for it. We walked on and when we got to where there were houses,
hands kept coming out with bread, cakes, cigarettes - no faces, just hands
throwing these into the road.(1)



Anna Bergman

Young Czech Jewish woman, Mauthausen 


After three or four days the Americans liberated us and I begged a nurse to
give my l
ittle boy a bath, and she said, 'What do you mean a little boy? It's a
g
irl.' I was delighted as I had wanted a little girl. She was like an angel, I kept

warming her little feet with my hands, she was wrapped in paper all the time
in Mauthausen. In the nearest Czech place on my way back to Prague, people
saw t
he baby and gave me so many clothes, so she came to Prague beautifully
equi
pped. (1)





(1) Forgotten Voices of the Holocaust . Lyn Smith .2006 


 There are thousands of stories like these and of course not 100% of the Czechs were kind to the Jews, but the behavior of the Czechs, Danes, Italians and some others was mostly more human than that of the Germans, Poles, Balts and countries mentioned above.
 
No, all nations are not equal in their behavior.


No comments:

Post a Comment