Sunday, 4 August 2013

The Germans tortured and murdered children and babies

The Germans killed 1,500,000 of  Jews children and several millions more  in the URSS and other occupied countries.

   In this account of the murder of 90 children under five years old , in the Saul Friedländer's book "The years of extermination", Pages 215-219. 2007 Harper Collins Publisher with references to the book "the Good Old Days" of Ernst Klee, Willi Dressen and Volker Riess, clearly is explained the criminalization of the entire chain of command of the Wehrmacht in the murder of innocent children, general knowledge of the murders and as nobody expressed the slightest sense of shame or pity,  except regret for not killing them with parents before to not suffer. Even was recommended by the military command chief congratulations to the murderers. Military chaplains made ​​a report, but nothing else, not even brought food to children.

   They were not fed, not even water  the days before his assassination. All were children under five years and many babies!

If you have enough stomach to read this shocking  narrative, go on. I almost cried reading it.

 These murderers are those who were surrounded at Stalingrad by the Soviet Army and in many Western books continue to appear as heroes. Heroes these murderers of children!

"In early August 1941, the small town of Bjelaja Zerkow, south of Kiev, was occupied by the 295th Infantry Division of Army Group South; the Wermacht area commander, Colonel Riedl, ordered the registration of all Jewish inhabitants and asked SS Sonderkommando 4a, a subunit of Eintsatzgruppe C (which in the meantime had moved from eastern Galicia to pre-­1939 Soviet Ukraine ) to murder them .
.     On August 8 a section of the Sonderkommando, led by SS Obersturm ­Aagust Hafner, arrived in the town. Between August 8 and 19 a company of Waffen SS attached to the Kommando shot all of the 800 to 900 local Jews, with the exception of a group of under the age of five.7 These children were abandoned without food or water in a building on the outskirts of the town near the racks. On August 19 many were taken away in three trucks at a nearby rifle range; ninety remained in the building, guarded by a few Ukrainians.
Soon the screams of these ninety children became so unbearable that the soldiers called in two field chaplains, a Protestant and a Catholic, to take some "remedial action.". The chaplains found the children half naked, covered with flies, and lying in their own excrement. Some of the older ones were eating mortar off the walls; the infants were comatose. The divisional chaplains were alerted and, after an inspection , they reported the matter to the first staff officer of the division, Helmuth Groscurth.
Groscurth went to inspect the building. There he met Oberscharführer Jager, the commander of the Waffen SS unit who had murdered the other Jews of the town; Jager informed him that the remaining children were to be "eliminated." Colonel Riedl, the field commander, conformed the information and added that the matter was in the hands of the SD and that the Einsatzkommando had received its orders from the highest authorities.
At this point Groscurth took it upon himself to order the postponement of the killings by one day, notwithstanding Hafner's threat to lodge a complaint. Groscurth even positioned armed soldiers around a truck already filled with children and prevented it from leaving. He communicated all this to the staff officer of Army Group South. The matter was  referred to the Sixth Army, probably because Einsatzkommando 4a operated in its area. That same evening, the commander of the Sixth Army, Field Marshal Reichenau, personally decided that "the operation .. had to be completed in a suitable way."
The next morning, August 21, Groscurth was summoned to a meeting at local headquarters in the presence of Colonel Riedl, Captain Luley, a counterintelligence officer who had reported to Reichenau on the course of the events, Obersturmfuhrer Hafner, and the chief of satzkommando 4a, the former architect SS Standartenfuhrer Paul B1obel. Luley declared that, although he was a Protestant, he thought that "chaplains should limit themselves to the welfare of the soldiers"; with the full support  of the field commander, Luley accused the chaplains of trouble."
According to Groscurth's report, Riedl then "attempted to draw the discussion into the ideological domain ... The elimination of the Jewish women and children " he explained, "was a matter of urgent necessity, whatever form it took." Riedl complained that the division's initiative had delayed the execution by twenty-four hours. At that point, as Groscurth later described it, Blobel, who had been silent up until then, intervened. He supported Riedl's complaint and "added that it would be best if those troops who were nosing around carried out the executions themselves and ­the commanders who were stopping the measures took command of these troops." "I quietly rejected this view," Groscurth wrote, “without taking any position as I wished to avoid any personal acrimony." Finally Groscurthr mentioned Reichenau's attitude: "When we discussed what further measures should be taken, the Standartenfuhrer declared that the commander in chief [Reichenau] recognized the necessity of eliminating the children and wished to be informed once this had been carried out
On August 22 the children were executed. The final sequence of the events was described by Hafner at his trial: "I went out to the woods alone. The Wehrmacht had already dug a grave. The children were brought along in a tractor. The Ukrainians were standing around trembling. ­The children were taken down from the tractor. They were lined up along the top of the grave and shot so that they fell into it. The Ukrainians ­not aim at any particular part of the body .... The wailing was Indescribable… I particularly remember a small fair-haired girl who took me by the hand. She too was shot later." The following day Captain Luley reported on the completion of the task to Sixth Army head­quarters and was recommended for a promotion.
The first Germans with any authority to be confronted with the fate of the ninety Jewish children were the chaplains. The field chaplains were compassionate, the divisional ones somewhat less so. In any case , after sending in their reports the chaplains were not heard again.
The killing of the Jewish adults and children was public. In postwar court testimony, a cadet officer who had been stationed in Bjelaja Zerkow at the time of the events, after describing in gruesome detail the execution of a batch of approximately 150 to 160 Jewish adults, made the following comments: "The soldiers knew about these executions and I remember one of my men saying that he had been permitted to part .... All the soldiers who were in Bjelaja Zerkow knew what happening. Every evening, the entire time I was there, rifle fire could heard, although there was no enemy in the vicinity." The same added, however: "It was not curiosity which drove me to watch this, disbelief that something of this type could happen. My comrades were also horrified by the executions. "

No comments:

Post a Comment